Even though it may appear as if I jump out of bed every morning ready to run 10 miles, that is definitely not the case. As much as I love working out first thing in the morning, your girl needs some extra energy sometimes!
I have tried a ton of different pre workouts, and I think I FINALLY found the magic recipe. Did you know that most pre-workouts on the market are full of fillers, preservatives, and added sugar? Things that are advertised as “healthy” but there is definitely nothing beneficial about them. A lot of pre-workouts also have a ridiculous amount of caffeine in them that can raise your cortisol levels, leaving you feeling anxious and spastic long after your workout is done. Not to mention all the damage that is doing to your hormones and digestion!
So what’s the solution? Magic mushrooms of course! Not those kinds. Have you heard of the mushrooms like Reishi, Cordyceps, and Lions Mane? They are trending hard right now, and for good reason.
Today I want to focus on Cordyceps! Cordyceps have been shown to support energy and increase stamina and athletic performance. They are also loaded with antioxidants.
I started drinking Four Sigmatic’s Cordyceps coffee before working out and it is a game changer. It contains about half the caffeine of a standard cup of coffee, but thanks to Cordyceps and Chaga mushroom, you get sustained stimulation without the crash.
You can absolutely just mix it with hot water, but I like to make a smoothie of sorts with some added goodies and drink 30 or so minutes before my workout!
- 1 -1.5 C Almond milk (or other non dairy milk of choice)
- Dash of cinnamon (metabolism booster)
- 1/2 -1 banana (fuel during your workout, especially good for runners)
- 1 Tbsp nut butter of choice (I love Nutzo because it also has chia seeds in it, which break down slowly giving you sustained energy!)
- 1 tsp maca powder (adaptogen that supports energy and stamina levels)
- 1 packet of Four Sigmatic Cordyceps Coffee
- *I also like to occasionally add Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides depending on how long of a workout I’m doing.
Blend all together, and try not to chug because it’s so delicious!
Please note that you should ALWAYS listen to your body when it comes to trying different supplements and adaptogens. What works for me, may not be best for you! At the end of the day, do what makes YOU feel good.